Motion Systems Engineer
|Job Title||Motion Systems Engineer|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||Circa £35,000|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
The design, development, commissioning and operational support of precision motion systems to support the design, development and operation of the scientific experiments carried out at Diamond Light Source.
- Provide operational support to the installed base of motion systems, in responding to operational faults and requests for development;
- Work closely with beamline project teams and beamline staff on defining the requirements and the specification of new motion systems;
- Provide advice and support to electrical and mechanical designers and project engineers on the specification of new motion systems;
- Undertake the commission of new motion control systems include; verification of signals, tuning of control loops, and validation of logic for sequencing and hardware protection;
- Undertake the characterisation and measurement of motion control systems, to establish the specified performance;
- Design and implementing logic in motion controllers or PLCs to ensure the correct operation of motion systems;
- Development of kinematic transforms (Mathematical mappings from one coordinate system into another) for motion systems;
- Participate in the planning and preparation of projects involving motion systems;
- Provide support of contractors and suppliers of equipment with motion systems as technical advice and in the undertaking acceptance tests;
- Contribute to the processes and associated development to support the design of motion systems throughout Diamond;
- Provide documentation on work undertaken and reports on progress on a periodic basis;
- Maintain and develop technical expertise in motion systems;
- Interfacing to internal customers including Engineers and Scientists in Diamond.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Degree level qualification in Mechatronics, Electrical or Electronic Engineering or related discipline (A);
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written;
- Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary;
- Demonstrate self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility;
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team;
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision;
- Experience in relevant role with industrial or scientific control systems (A&I);
- Experience with Stepper, Servo drives and encoders (A&I);
- Experience of commissioning and fault finding electronic systems (A&I);
- Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of electronic modules (A&I);
- Knowledge of communication protocols, such as RS232/422/485 and experience in fault finding (A&I);
- Experience in managing outside contracts (A&I);
- An understanding of logic, PLC operation and programming (I);
- Be willing to work overtime at unsociable hours as required;
- Be willing to travel in the UK and abroad, including occasional periods away from home;
- Be prepared to undertake further training;
- Ability to work in restricted or confined spaces.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Demonstrate an understanding of staff supervision;
- Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management;
- Function and configuration of PID control loops (I);
- An appreciation of the parameters affecting choice and operation of different drives (I);
- An understanding of basis kinematic transforms (I).
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org