Data Analysis Scientist - EM
|Job Title||Data Analysis Scientist - EM|
|Post Type||Full time / 3 Year Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||Circa £31k - £43k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines
eBIC (electron Bio-Imaging Centre) at Diamond Light Source provides scientists with state-of-the-art experimental equipment and expertise in the field of electron cryo-microscopy, for single particle analysis and cryo-tomography. Funded by the Wellcome Trust with the UK Medical Research and Biotechnology and Biology Research Councils, eBIC provides a cutting edge National Centre for electron cryo-microscopy in the life sciences. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire and integrated within Diamond Light Source, the centre provides a unique platform to exploit electron, light and synchrotron imaging capabilities through an integrated approach in the life sciences.
We are looking for a high calibre software scientist to join our dynamic scientific software group to work on visualization and analysis of Electron Microscopy data. You will work in collaboration with eBIC and Diamond scientists as well as CCP-EM ,who are providing together with the developers of various leading software packages advanced data evaluation, analysis and visualization software applications for both internal and external users of eBIC at Diamond. You will work with experienced software scientists and engineers in the scientific software group at Diamond collaborating with eBIC staff and users to define requirements for data analysis and visualization applications covering the complete image processing process through to structure refinement and ensure that they are implemented in a timely and effective way.
This is an exciting new opportunity to take a leading role on a new source in a fast changing landscape within the field of Bio-Imaging whilst benefiting from a mature and experienced scientific software development environment offered by Diamond.
To work with existing software and scientific staff to establish software requirements for EM scientific data reduction and analysis, develop and ensure implementation in a timely manner.
Working with the electron microscopists at eBIC and the data acquisition team to identify and define requirements for the data analysis software
- Management and, if necessary, implementation of required EM software including appropriate documentation and project plans
- Work closely with acquisition colleagues to enable the integration of EM analysis software into the data acquisition process where appropriate
- Technical appreciation of software techniques and tools to employ
- Use scientific and technical knowledge to understand and implement data analysis and mathematical software in particular for cryo-EM
- Development and use of collaboration across multidisciplinary teams from potentially geographically separated locations
- Produce project plans and documentation
- Implement appropriate software testing regimes as part of the development process
- Contribute to the eBIC user program in particular assisting in training of users in the use of EM data analysis software.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- First degree in engineering, computing or science;
- Experience of modern programming languages in particular Java, C, C++ and Python;
- Experience or understanding of Electron Microscopy or closely related scientific field;
- Requires practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Self motivated.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
- Background in using advanced mathematics and software engineering techniques for application development;
- Experience of data management, describing data and exploiting databases for scientific work;
- Experience of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Project management experience;
- PhD in science discipline.
Available to travel occasionally in the UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Diamond is one of the UK's leading research institutions, enabling scientific breakthroughs in many disciplines. Being a part of the Diamond team allows our staff to shape some of the most important and exciting scientific projects being undertaken anywhere in the UK. Diamond is a family friendly employer, with a competitive pension scheme and benefits packages including relocation where appropriate. We provide continuous learning for our staff, with training and development opportunities available across the organisation. The Diamond site is located in the beautiful South Oxfordshire countryside on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus. We share a site with the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, the Research Complex at Harwell, the pulsed neutron and muon source, ISIS and the European Space Agency, amongst others. This diverse and vibrant campus brings together some of the leading research facilities in the UK on one site with good access to local towns and cities, and excellent schools.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org