PDRA for X-ray Optics
|Job Title||PDRA for X-ray Optics|
|Post Type||Full time / Fixed term for for 3 years|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
The Optics and Metrology Group at Diamond provides expert support to the beamline scientists in the design, acceptance, and optimisation of X-ray optics, and the development of specialised optical systems. Several fields of sciences require diffraction-limited X-ray optics, and stability at the nanometre scale. These are very demanding tasks and require development of metrology instruments and techniques to precisely, accurately, and repeatably measure X-ray optics. One important area is in-situ at-wavelength (i.e. using x-rays) metrology which has been established on Diamond’s Test beamline, B16. These at-wavelength metrology methods have opened up new possibilities for X-ray optics and wavefront characterization.
We are seeking a self-motivated candidate to work as a Postdoctoral Research Associate to further develop at-wavelength metrology, in particular the X-ray Speckle based technique and X-ray Grating Interferometry . They will be required to work closely with the B16 beamline team and the scientists in the Optics & Metrology group.
- Contribute to the development of existing at-wavelength metrology techniques using innovative concepts;
- Explore and develop other potential techniques for wavefront characterisation of hard X-ray micro and nano focusing optics;
- Characterise and test optics on B16;
- Develop and implement prototype systems for using the at-wavelength metrology methods on other beamlines at Diamond;
- Develop user friendly data analysis software for at-wavelength metrology;
- Present latest results and research in international conferences and workshops;
- Publish work in peer-reviewed journals.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate First Degree;
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Experience of performing experiments at synchrotron facilities;
- Extensive programming experience in python, C++, Matlab or a similar platform;
- Aptitude to develop data processing techniques;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Strong mathematical background;
- Experience with synchrotron based instrumentation;
- Background in optics, metrology or related research;
- Experience in a related field such as x-ray metrology, x-ray phase contrast imaging or x-ray coherent diffraction imaging;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels.
Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com