Electrical Testing Technician
|Job Title||Electrical Testing Technician|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £26000|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
Principle duty is to support the Senior Electrical Engineer within the Installation & Facilities Management Group in regard to the management and carrying out of Beamline electrical testing. Other duties are as outlined below.
- Cabling and wiring of electrical circuits throughout the facility including the termination and testing;
- Monitoring and testing duties, as required by the Statutory Authorities;
- Assistance with operation and maintenance of the facilities plant;
- Problem solving and fault diagnosis on site electrical distribution services;
- Liaison with; internal staff, external contractors, service engineers and suppliers;
- To keep up to date records of all testing documentation;
- To report the progress of activities or teams to the electrical engineer;
- To carry out and assist with the preparation of safety risk assessments and method statements, (RAMS);
- Participation in Health and Safety and Quality Assurance procedures as appropriate to the post;
- To undertake other related duties to meet the needs of Diamond’s Installation and Facilities Management Group;
- Flexible approach to working conditions and environment;
- Supervision of Agency / Contractor electricians.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- BS7671 Wiring Regulations Qualification or City & Guilds 2360 Part A & B or equivalent;
- BS2391 Electrical Testing & Inspection, or equivalent;
- Experience with LV Electrical systems;
- Electrical cabling to 17th Edition Wiring Regs;
- Electrical cabling of power, signal, monitoring and coax circuits including termination and testing;
- Specialist knowledge of Control & Instrumentation connector terminations;
- Familiarity with using Quality Control Systems, Work Planning and Safe Systems of work;
- Computer literate;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Effective team worker;
- Flexible approach to the working conditions and environment;
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- JiB Approved Electrician;
- Recognised Apprenticeship in an Engineering / Technician discipline;
- Experience of HSE legislation;
- Monitoring progress of electrical installation contracts;
- Significant work experience in a similar role;
- Work planning and organisational skills;
- Good communication skills: verbal/written;
- Able to organise and prioritise tasks to meet project timescales (Project planning);
- Prepared to learn new skills;
- Able to get on with people at all levels.
The job may require participation on the on call rota.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com