Post Doctoral Research Associate
|Job Title||Post Doctoral Research Associate|
|Post Type||Full time / Fixed term for 18 months|
|Salary information||Circa £32k - £40k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
The post holder will be responsible for pursuing structural studies using primarily macromolecular crystallography. The post includes responsibility for protein production, purification and biophysical characterisation of a bacterial transporter system. The dynamic environment at Harwell will be highly attractive to creative candidates who are interested in studying integral membrane proteins from gram-negative bacterial pathogens and who are also interested in working at the interface of cryoEM, X-ray crystallography and other structural biology techniques.
- Reporting to the group leader you will contribute to the structural biology research programme on-going within the group;
- Attend and present work at relevant scientific meetings;
- Attend internal scientific and administrative meetings with scientific collaborators;
- Contribute to the analysis and publication of scientific results in international peer-reviewed journals;
- Keeping up with latest results and research directions internationally.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- PhD in structural biology or related area;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Experience macromolecular data collection and structure solution;
- Experience in cloning and protein production for structural studies;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Strong organisational skills and methodical record keeping;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of-hours working.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in working with membrane proteins;
- Experience in working with carbohydrate binding protein.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org