PDRA in Accelerator Physics
|Job Title||PDRA in Accelerator Physics|
|Post Type||Full time / Fixed term for 3 years|
|Salary information||Circa £34k|
The Diamond synchrotron light source is the largest scientific facility built in the UK, located at The Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire. The Diamond facility consists of three accelerators – a 100 MeV linac, a 3 GeV booster synchrotron and a 562 m circumference 3 GeV storage ring. Diamond presently operates 18 synchrotron light beamlines and Phase-III which is currently underway will allow the complete exploitation of the available straight sections by the end of 2017.
The key duties of the post are as follows:
- Carry out studies to model, understand and optimise the performance of the Diamond accelerators, the associated insertion devices and feedback systems, under all required operating conditions;
- Contribute to producing the relevant procedures and high level software tools in order to achieve the above;
- Actively participate in machine development activities, proposing and undertaking new experiments, carrying out the corresponding data analysis and reporting the findings to the Accelerator Physics and Machine Development meetings;
- Contribute to advanced studies for ultra low emittance lattices, new injection schemes and upgrades. This involve mastering advanced numerical optimisation techniques for improving both the beam optics and collective effects of the proposed Diamond upgrade, in continuous interaction with other technical groups such as engineering, magnets, vacuum, power supplies and controls.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
The successful candidate is likely to have the following skills and experience:
- Qualified to at least degree level in an appropriate branch of physics;
- Some experience of accelerator physics of both a practical and theoretical nature;
- Experience in the operation of existing accelerator is desirable;
- Self motivation, flexibility, ability to work effectively in a team;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Available to travel in the UK and abroad, including periods away from home;
- Available to work occasional shifts during machine development periods.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org