Postdoctoral Research Associate / Associate Beamline Scientist I05
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate / Associate Beamline Scientist I05|
|Post Type||Full time / Fixed term for 2 years|
|Salary information||Circa £ 34k - £43k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
Beamline I05-ARPES consists of two branches. HR-ARPES is a high resolution, low temperature instrument for angle-resolved photoemission studies of cleaved single crystal samples as well as ultra-thin samples prepared in the attached surface science facilities. It started user operation in July 2013. Nano-ARPES is a scanning photoemission spectro-microscope with spot size well below 1 μm and is nearing the end of construction. The photon energy range is 18 – 240 eV; 500 eV with variable polarization and high photon flux from a long undulator.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist, either a Postdoctoral Research Associate or an Associate Beamline Scientist, to participate in the first exploratory experiments on the new nano-ARPES instrument, fine-tune its performance and contribute to support of external beamline users on this instrument. The successful applicant is expected to have experience in electron spectroscopy experiments and synchrotron radiation beamlines.
Postdoctoral Research Associate - The post holder will participate in early stage exploratory experiments on the new nano-ARPES instrument on beamline I05, fine-tune its performance and help with support of external beamline users on this instrument.
- Perform early stage exploratory experiments on the new nano-ARPES instrument on beamline I05;
- Help with maintenance and development of the nano-ARPES instrument;
- Perform state-of-the art analysis of nano-ARPES data using both existing as well as newly developed tools;
- Liaise with scientific software group and help with testing and commissioning of data visualisation and analysis software tools;
- Presentation of the in-house research, beamline developments and scientific papers at meetings and conferences.
Associate Beamline Scientist - The aim of the role is scientific support to designated beam lines and the user operation programme; fixed term position.
- Installation, assembly, and maintenance of a range of equipment and systems on the beamline and support laboratories, including testing and commissioning;
- Procurement of significant beamline components;
- Liaise with the suppliers of the beamline components;
- Local contact support to users by setting up and providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques;
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations for own work in an area relevant to beamline;
- To lead the design, procurement, testing, installation and commissioning of a particular significant development of the beamline or instrumentation which would enhance or improve its capability;
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with the other Diamond staff and users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Experience of ultrahigh vacuum methods for surface science studies using electron spectroscopy;
- Experience or knowledge of relevant research;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation.
Additional requirement for appointment as Associate Beamline Scientist:
- Experience of synchrotron radiation ARPES;
- Ability to conduct internationally competitive research program.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of synchrotrons / x-ray beamlines;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Experience or knowledge high resolution ARPES;
- Experience of data analysis software using tools that are relevant for ARPES data analysis.
Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com