Mechanical Technician / Senior Mechanical Technician
|Job Title||Mechanical Technician / Senior Mechanical Technician|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £27k and Circa £35k for appointment at the senior level|
|Date of interviews||30/09/2015|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
I20 is a beamline consisting of two x-ray spectrometers that operate independently. The first branch is based on a very high energy resolution scanning spectrometer that provides a high photon flux, and is particularly suitable for the study of dilute samples. The second branch uses a dispersive geometry to collect x-ray absorption spectra with high time resolution, appropriate for the study of chemical processes.
The main duty of the Mechanical Beamline Technician/Senior Mechanical Beamline Technician is to support the scientists and technical support groups associated with the beamline during beamline maintenance, commissioning and operations. The technician will help maintain the equipment already existing on the beamline, and will work with the beamline scientists and engineers in designing and installing new beamline equipment as part of upgrades. They will also help users to carry out experiments on both branches of the beamline, machining small pieces of equipment such as sample holders, and integrating ancillary equipment into the experimental areas. They will need to ensure that all beamline work is carried out in a safe manner, and that the equipment is appropriately integrated and installed. Due to the operational needs of the beamline for investigating dilute systems, the successful candidate will be required to maintain a clean and tidy working environment.
If appointed at the senior level, the successful candidate will be asked to take on supervisory duties and design and build new equipment/developments.
Expected activities are:
- Maintenance, development and upgrading existing beamline components such as monochromators; mirrors, slits and experimental hutch equipment;
- Assisting in installation and commissioning of further specialist beamline equipment;
- Assisting users in carrying out experiments;
- Integrating ancillary equipment into the experimental area;
- Ensuring that all beamline work is carried out safely and using the correct processes such as ATW, PTW; carrying out regular safety inspections. When required, appropriate PPE equipment must be worn;
- Using the peripheral laboratory equipment/workshop for preparation of user experiments;
- General laboratory work including some electrical cabling, design and build of simple mechanical devices;
- Design and build of new equipment/developments and technical assistance to develop sample; environments that provide high/low temperature and other environments;
- Maintenance of a clean and tidy working environment.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- ONC or GNVQ level 2 (Applicants with equivalent work experience will also be considered);
- 2 years proven technical experience;
- Significant relevant work experience;
- Proven work experience in vacuum;
- You should have proven experience in at least one of the following areas: ultra high vacuum, cryogenics, high temperatures, magnetic fields and/or high pressures, specialist gases, cooling water;
- Ability to understand and interpret mechanical drawings;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Effective team player;
- Candidates must be available to work flexibly during commissioning and later operations when there will be periods of intense activity to meet deadlines.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Able to produce simple engineering drawings;
- Experience with chilled water, compressed air, domestic water;
- Experiences of using cranes and slings etc. for heavy lifting;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work (essential for appointment at senior level);
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work (essential for appointment at the senior level);
- Experience of Technical Support in a synchrotron or equivalent facility (essential for appointment at the senior level);
Experience in line-management (desirable for appointment at the senior level).
Some travel may be required, usually within the UK and with occasional overnight stays.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org