Research Technician ( Lab Technician)
|Job Title||Research Technician ( Lab Technician)|
|Post Type||Full time/ 3 years, Fixed term|
|Salary information||Circa 28k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We are seeking a full-time Research Technician to support life sciences research within the Research Complex at Harwell by Diamond Light Source research groups.
Structural biology of soluble and membrane proteins (bacterial and human) forms the majority of the work carried out exploiting diffraction, solution scattering, X-ray imaging and presently single particle cryo-electron microscopy and cryo-electron tomography. Production of test proteins for quality control and to aid methods and instrumentation developments at the Diamond beamlines also forms part of the role. The post will contribute to research through facilitating on-going projects by the Diamond groups in the Research complex, collaborate in joint activities with the OPPF-UK and the MPL laboratories and aid generally to the efficient use of the biology laboratories.
You should have a strong background in protein purification and expression of recombinant proteins with cloning experience being desirable. You will work as part of a team, be well organized and able to plan your time efficiently and effectively. You should be familiar with good laboratory practices and safety procedures and requirements and have the ability to communicate and collaborate in a team environment.
If you are interested in this role, and have the skills and experience we are looking for, please apply online. You are also welcome to contact us for more details. The full job description can be found below:
Research Technician ( Lab Technician) - to support biological research in the research complex biology laboratories and assist research groups from diamond life science beamlines. Provide biological support for beamline setup and development. Contribute with other support staff at RCaH to upkeep of equipment, resources and consumables for the laboratory and ensure Diamond’s high safety standards are maintained.
Working in support of the laboratory research scientists to:
- Contribute to general running of the laboratory and upkeep and operation of equipment;
- Ensuring the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced;
- Following and ensuring safety procedures and safety checks are maintained;
- Contribute to MX beamline quality control protocols through delivery of standard crystals for beamline calibration and software/pipeline developments;
- Contribute to research projects through engaging with research groups and providing assistance in particular for recombinant protein production for crystallography, solution scattering and electron microscopy research projects;
- Contribute to protocol developments within the lab and life science beamlines.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Experience in large scale overproduction and purification of proteins;
- Experience in managing laboratory general infrastructure and processes;
- Appropriate qualification or relevant direct experience in a working structural biology laboratory;
- Applicants should be educated at a minimum to HNC level in a biological subject;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Strong organisational skills and methodical record keeping;
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe;
- Ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with lab users at all levels.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience with Windows;
- Experience in molecular biology – cloning and site directed mutagenesis;
- Experience in crystallization of macromolecules;
- Experience in preparing risk assessments for biological safety and general; laboratory practices.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com