Insertion Device Physicist / Senior Insertion Device Physicist
|Job Title||Insertion Device Physicist / Senior Insertion Device Physicist|
|Job Reference||DIA1049A/NH or DIA1049B/NH|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Insertion Devices Physicist: £31,000 - £43,000 / Senior Insertion Devices Physicist: £41,000 - £55,000|
|Date of interviews|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
The Diamond facility is based on a 562 m circumference, low emittance, 3 GeV storage ring currently containing 26 individual insertion devices of various types. Diamond is seeking an Insertion Device Physicist (DIA1049A/NH) or Senior Insertion Devices Physicist (DIA1049B/NH) to support the work of the Group in providing high quality innovative insertion devices for Diamond.
The key duties and requirements are as follows:
As an Insertion Devices Physicist you will contribute to the physics aspects of the design, construction and operation of permanent and electro magnetic insertion device systems for the Diamond by:
- carrying out magnetic measurements, data analysis, and magnetic field optimisation procedures for actual devices;
- carrying out computer modelling to optimise magnetic designs;
- computing synchrotron radiation emission from a variety of devices.
As the Senior Insertion Devices physicist you will be responsible for physics issues related to the provision of high quality insertion devices for Diamond, including functional specification, calculation of radiation properties, magnetic design, magnetic measurement and analysis, commissioning and operation.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Physics degree or equivalent;
- Good general physics knowledge, especially electromagnetism;
- Good mathematical ability;
- Experience of computer programming and data analysis;
- Effective team worker;
- Computer literate;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Work planning and organisational skills;
- Good communication skills: verbal/written;
- Flexible approach to the working conditions and environment;
- Prepared to learn new skills;
- Able to get on with people at all levels;
- Willingness to work outside normal working hours, including occasional evenings, nights and week-ends as operational needs dictate;
- Willingness to participate in out of hours support for the operation of the insertion devices if required;
- Willingness to undertake occasional travel within the UK and overseas, to visit laboratories and companies, attend meetings and conferences etc.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
Please see links to full person specifications documents above.
Please quote the relevant Job Title and Reference Number you wish to apply for when completing the Diamond application form.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org