Athena Swan Co-ordinator
|Job Title||Athena Swan Co-ordinator|
|Post Type||18 Month Fixed term, full time or part time (minimum of 22 hours per week). Secondment opportunity for internal applicants.|
|Salary information||Circa £32k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
Diamond Light Source Ltd is initiating an application for the Athena Swan Bronze accreditation in 2015. The post holder will be responsible for researching, consulting and working with stakeholders in the Diamond Light Source, in providing coordination, support, guidance and relevant information to the Science Division participating in the Athena Swan Awards initiative.
The Action Plan requires two stages of activity:
- A mapping exercise collating current activity within Diamond which supports women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine;
- The setting up of an operational project working group (the Self Assessment Panel) and strategic advisory group (the Project Board) which overseas, defines and implements initiatives promoting the support of women in science, technology, engineering and medicine.
The Athena Swan Co-ordinator will support and on occasion lead on this process ensuring a successful Bronze application.
The role is responsible for taking the lead and coordinating the activities in support of the Athena SWAN Bronze Award application process under the direction of the project manager and assisting in facilitating cultural change at Diamond.
- Lead on the Athena SWAN Bronze Award application process;
- Deputise for the Athena Swan Project Manager where necessary;
- Work closely with other scientific and technical staff to conduct a mapping exercise collating current activity within Diamond which supports women in science, technology, engineering, maths;
- Produce reporting and documentation for the Athena Swan submission and support the long term planning for a future silver award submission;
- Co-ordinate relationships by setting up of an operational project working group (the Self Assessment Panel) and strategic advisory group (the Project Board) which oversees, defines and implements initiatives promoting the support of women in science, technology, engineering, maths;
- Provide advice and support to the Self Assessment Panel, advising on the understanding and application of HR policies and procedures;
- Facilitate the planning and preparation of events and workshops;
- Develop and maintain expertise in a professional understanding of Equality and Diversity issues within a diverse and multicultural environment;
- Carry out programmes of research within the area of Equality and Diversity issues to benefit the organisation and contribute to external groups, such as professional bodies and networks with a focus on these topics.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Good standard of education to degree level or equivalent;
- Experience of project management;
- Experience of writing and implementing management procedures and processes;
- Experience of communicating, promoting and developing new initiatives;
- Commitment to and understanding of equality and diversity issues within a diverse and multicultural environment;
- Ability to adjust content of information that needs careful explanation or interpretation to suit the needs of different audiences;
- Experience of identifying and using a range of sources to produces reports that combine different types of data;
- Experience of using initiative and creativity to resolve problems, identifying practical and suitable solutions;
- Self motivated with the ability of making independent decisions that may affect others outside the immediate working team and contributing to collaborative decisions with colleagues.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Master’s/other postgraduate study;
- Experience of working in an equality and diversity policy environment;
- Experience of working in STEM organisation.
Secondment opportunity for internal applicants.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org