Public Engagement Officer
|Job Title||Public Engagement Officer|
|Post Type||Full time, 2 year fixed term|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth and environmental sciences.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced public engagement practitioner to oversee the delivery and planning of Diamond’s core public engagement programme for schools and the public. The successful candidate will also contribute to planning and delivery of other elements of the public engagement programme. Candidates will have proven communication skills and the ability to translate complex scientific concepts into readily understandable terminology. As well as a talent for presenting and facilitating, candidates will need to have experience working in science communication with both public and school audiences. We are looking for someone with experience of programme planning and delivery, along with experience of training staff/volunteer management. A scientific degree is essential, along with experience of working with CRM systems and databases and web content management software. Candidates will also need to be capable users of MS office software.
To oversee the delivery and planning of the core public engagement programme for schools and the public, and to contribute to planning and delivery of other elements of the public engagement programme.
- Participate in the planning and delivery of an agreed programme of events for the public and schools, working with the public engagement manager and volunteer staff and users;
- Work with staff internally and in external partnerships to produce high quality content for events;
- Contribute to the public engagement programming at Diamond, working at festivals, museums and other partner venues discussing our science and its impact in society;
- Work with scientists based at Diamond and our user institutions to develop their ideas into deliverable public engagement activities and events;
- Assist with the planning, delivery and development staff training materials to increase capacity for public engagement at the facility and partner institutions;
- Work with schools to develop and deliver events and visits in the local community, and assist with the development and delivery of the Diamond work experience programme;
- To assist with high level/bespoke visits to the facility as required;
- Manage databases and online event registration systems linked to Public Engagement activities ensuring compliance with current data protection requirements;
- Support the delivery of the Communications and PE training programme for staff and users to ensure that activities are maximised;
- Support the delivery of other activities undertaken by the Communications and PE team as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Scientific degree; Experience of working in science communication with both public and school audiences;
- High level, proven communication skills;
- Ability to translate complex scientific concepts into readily understandable terminology;
- Skilled facilitator;
- Able to work in a fast paced, flexible team environment.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Post graduate qualification in sciences/science communication;
- Experienced presenter;
- Experience of programme planning and delivery;
- Experience of training staff/volunteer management.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org