PDRA in Accelerator Physics/Magnets
|Job Title||PDRA in Accelerator Physics/Magnets|
|Post Type||Full-time / Fixed Term|
|Salary information||Circa £35,000, depending on experience|
|Date of interviews|
The Diamond synchrotron light source is the largest scientific facility built in the UK, located at The Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire. The Diamond facility consists of three accelerators – a 100 MeV linac, a 3 GeV booster synchrotron and a 562 m circumference 3 GeV storage ring. Diamond presently operates 18 synchrotron light beamlines and Phase-III which is currently underway will allow the complete exploitation of the available straight sections by the end of 2017. Diamond is aiming a producing a Conceptual Design Report for the upgrade of the facility to a multi-bend achromat (MBA) lattice in view of possible capital bids in the next 5 years.
Diamond Light Source Ltd. wishes to appoint a Post-Doc Research Assistant in Magnet Design within the Diamond Technical Division, Accelerator Physics Group.
The key duties of the post are as follows:
- Carry out studies to model and optimise the magnet systems for the potential upgrade of the Diamond storage ring to an ultra low emittance lattice. This will include gradient dipoles, longitudinal gradient dipoles, high gradient multipoles and correctors;
- Design of new magnets for serving the special needs of dipole beamlines in the Diamond upgrade;
- Design of any other special magnets required as part of other upgrade projects;
- Contribute to the definition and specification of magnet prototypes and assist with their procurement;
- Assist with the set-up and operation of the magnetic measurement benches as required;
- Liaise with accelerator physicists to determine the required field characteristics and tolerances, characterise the magnet performance, define modification to prototypes etc;
- Liaise with other technical groups such as engineering, vacuum, power supplies and controls in order to achieve design coherency;
- Assist with the compilation of the relevant sections of the Conceptual Design Report for the Diamond upgrade.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- First Degree in an appropriate branch of physics or engineering;
- Relevant Postgraduate Degree or experience;
- Some experience of magnet design and magnetic measurements;
- Some experience of accelerator physics of both a practical and theoretical nature.;
- Self motivation, flexibility, ability to work effectively in a team;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Available to travel in the UK and abroad, including periods away from home;
- Available to work occasional shifts during machine development periods.
Appointments will be made by the Diamond Light Source Ltd. The posts will be based at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Chilton, Didcot. The position is open for three years with possibility of renewal.
Salary on appointment will be approx. £ 35,000 for a person with 3-5 years experience; a higher salary might be considered for exceptionally qualified candidates.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com