HR Operations Manager
|Job Title||HR Operations Manager|
|Post Type||3 Year Fixed Term Contract / Full-time|
|Division||Finance and Corporate Services|
|Salary information||Circa £46,000|
|Date of interviews|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
Lead the HR team in the provision and delivery of an effective HR operational service.
- Management of the HR team, processes, assigned projects and resources including supervision of the administration of HR and associated payroll systems.
- Lead in the development and delivery of learning, development and training initiatives and programmes incorporating:
- formal and informal training needs analysis including the development and delivery of relevant programmes;
- working to ensure that opportunities for learning are available and accessible;
- oversight of the company wide provision of apprentices, placements, interns etc. initiatives;
- contribute to the delivery of training and briefing sessions.
- Lead the HR team in the delivery of high-level operational advice and assistance across the full range of HR issues, including recruitment and selection procedures, discipline, grievance, organisational change, TUPE, grading, and local interactions with staff representatives, as well as advice on the interpretation of Company HR policy in compliance with Company and statutory requirements and best practice.
- Lead the HR team in supporting managers ensuring an understanding of their business objectives and to ensure the adequate provision of HR support and advice as necessary to achieve those objectives, and manage any associated risks.
- Ensure appropriate advice and support to managers in the management of their teams in compliance with Company policies and relevant employment law and best practice.
- Work closely with managers and colleagues on the management of individual complex and or high risk cases including attendance at employment tribunals.
- Deputise for the Head of HR as required.
- Assist in the strategic development and review of HR policies, procedures and processes.
- Assist in the formal negotiating and communication HR framework to bring about any necessary changes in line with company policies.
- Any other duties as assigned by senior management.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Proven direct experience as a manager ideally in HR or related function including managing resources.
- Wide experience of advising managers on the full range of employee related issues (ideally within a unionised environment), including organisational change.
- Professional and proactive approach to enabling managers to achieve their objectives, ensuring that professional HR advice is prompt, persuasive, effective, and evaluates risk.
- Proven aptitude to contribute to the formulation of the HR strategy of an organisation.
- Proven experience of developing HR policies.
- A thorough and up-to-date knowledge of employment law and good practice in HR related activities.
- Analytical thinking, innovation, and problem-solving ability equivalent to those derived from holding a good honours degree.
- Full membership of CIPD and wide professional experience.
- The ability to communicate concisely, effectively and persuasively in writing.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including good questioning and listening skills and negotiating skills.
- A proven team-player: committed to working collaboratively and supportively with colleagues in a changing context.
- Able to develop effective and constructive working relationships at all levels and able to influence events, particularly at the senior management level.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to deal with conflicting priorities, balance routine work and unplanned activities and progress a high volume of complex issues to successful resolution.
- The ability to deal effectively with rapid change and be comfortable adjusting and amending plans and strategies to accommodate new opportunities and respond to events.
- Highly developed judgement, and a demonstrable commitment to finding effective, practical solutions that marry statutory duties and company policies with operational needs.
- Commitment to continuous improvement, both on a personal level and as part of a service.
- Good attention to detail and numerate.
- Demonstrable ability to exercise discretion and judgement when dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office or similar software.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in developing and delivering training initiatives and briefings sessions.
- Practical experience of operating an analytical job evaluation scheme.
- Experience in the use of HR and payroll information systems, and the ability to understand workforce data.
- Experience of working in a comparable high tech/science/academic environment.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com