Software & Digital Systems Engineer
|Job Title||Software & Digital Systems Engineer|
|Post Type||Full time, permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £30k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth and environmental sciences.
We are looking for an individual who will take on the portfolio of communications’ systems – Customer relationship management system, java-based database and web content management system.
We are looking for graduate or postgraduate software to help us keep our software systems in line with the fast changing business needs emerging from Diamond. The candidate will be immersed in the communications with a direct exposure to the fast moving needs and challenges of the team. Ideally, we are looking for someone who has the following range of experience and skills: planning and management skills to deliver complex software project; an ability to produce needs analysis & technical specifications; an extensive knowledge of web technologies and integration with other systems (especially java-based); sound experience of working in an integrated development environment such as Eclipse; some HTML5, .net development, sound experience of managing suppliers and stakeholders in software development and finally a strong knowledge management underpinning technical software projects
To contribute to the planning, coordination and delivery the Corporate Communications Systems for Diamond and to contribute to the coordination of the technical direction of our online communications systems across the organisation.
- To capture and assess technical software and digital systems requirements and needs from the communications team and translate them into solutions across Diamond;
- To ensure Diamond uses the best practice technical solutions and tools in support of its communications activities whilst ensuring support the communications systems including Magnolia, etc.
To plan for, develop and deliver software requirements between communications and science division. These include but are not limited to:
- Technical web platforms for online registration, payment system for all events and workshops undertaken by Diamond (on average 40 per annum);
- Support the technical administration of the publication database and ensure dashboard statistics are easily accessible;
- Ensure that all systems ( publications databases, magnolia, asset bank etc) are meeting the needs of the organisation.
- To organise, co-ordinate and deliver web training session as appropriate for relevant staff;
- To coordinate relationship with suppliers to deliver and extend Communications software systems;
- Contribute to the development of the documentation and user’s manual for the Communications systems;
- To help displaying and showcasing science undertaken at Diamond on digital support, this includes the creation of interactive displays, mobile applications, etc.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification / Experience;
- Extensive knowledge of (X)HTML, CSS, XML;
- Knowledge of programming language including C# and Java;
- Server Scripting language such as JSP, ASP, PHP;
- Knowledge of databases (SQL Server, Oracle);
- Knowledge of Magnolia CMS;
- Good understanding of web technologies;
- Experience of working in an Integrated Development Environment such as Eclipse;
- Experience of HTML5;
- Experience of Managing suppliers;
- Strong Knowledge Management underpinning technical software projects;
- Planning and Management skills to deliver complex software project;
- Extensive project management skills;
- Ability to produce needs analysis & technical specifications;
- Proactive approach;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Self motivated and able to prioritise workload / tasks;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to train staff;
- Excellent communications skills written & spoken, able to communicate with staff at all levels;
- Flexibility to work with a wide rand of people with varying technical expertise.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Some Flash Experience.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com