Scientific Training & Education Administrator
|Job Title||Scientific Training & Education Administrator|
|Post Type||Part time (22 hours per week), two year fixed term (required to work Fridays).|
|Salary information||Circa £24k (pro rata)|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, Diamond enables world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
Supporting the Science Division in administration and development of appropriate scientific related training and education systems and processes; and provide administrative support to the Divisional Office for assigned events and travel.
- Support the Scientific Training and Education Co-ordinator in developing Science Division scientific training and education policies, procedures, processes and regulations, ensuring they are accurate and up-to-date, and in line with Best Practice methods and procedures;
- Act as the main coordinator for the undergraduate Summer Placements programme, liaising with HR and Communications department to facilitate the recruitment campaign and pastoral care of the students whilst on placement at Diamond, and ensuring queries are resolved where necessary;
- Organise and coordinate the Scientific Training Advisory Group (STAG) to develop scientific training and education staff development programmes, including writing up and distribution of meeting notes to relevant parties;
- Develop and then maintain internet/intranet information regarding training opportunities and student activities, using systems such as Magnolia;
- Provide administrative support for Science Division employees in booking training and raising purchase orders using the eProc system, processing invoices and submit credit card logs to Finance, as necessary;
- Responsible for the planning and preparation of training events or projects as required;
- Co-ordinate working arrangements with training suppliers to procure and deliver services, resources or expertise as appropriate;
- Produce reports and documentation to support the delivery of scientific training and education services and systems including the provision of management information as required for the Science Directors;
- Responsibility for the planning and coordination of all logistical details to ensure the successful delivery of assigned visits, events and conferences, including liaising with delegates, making all travel arrangements and any other bookings as required;
- To provide cover for other science administrative personnel as required, including assistance with coordinating travel arrangements for Divisional staff within company guidelines.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibility for delivery of work;
- Ability to research, analyse, collate and present information in coherent reports or briefings;
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to be assertive and persuasive in handling contact with internal and external customers;
- Experience in co-ordinating supplier and contractor relationships;
- Experience in an internal or external customer-facing role and in handling and resolving customer queries;
- Significant practical experience working within an administrative field, as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Strong IT skills, including MS Office Suite.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in co-ordinating packages of project work, including the co-ordination of internal and external resource;
- Experience of working within a scientific or academic environment;
- Experience of providing administrative support for training events and projects;
- Experience of booking travel arrangements.
The working pattern can be flexible, subject to agreement with the manager. However, there is the need to work Fridays as cover is required for the Science Divisional Office.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com