Electrical Project Engineer
|Job Title||Electrical Project Engineer|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Date of interviews|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
- Interact closely with in-house and external scientific and engineering staff in support of Diamond accelerator, insertion device, front end and beamline projects as assigned;
- Provide creative, innovative and adaptive solutions to problems involved with the electrical engineering systems and provide professional input to the electrical design, manufacture, installation, testing and commissioning phases;
- Produce design calculations to predict performance of designs prior to manufacture;
- Produce layouts and design concepts, ideally employing AutoCAD;
- Negotiate, agree and write technical specifications, produce and monitor project management plans including Gantt charts, resource and procurement plans;
- Make presentations of project status and technical issues at project meetings;
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises;
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development;
- Supervise internal and contract staff;
- Keep up to date with relevant technology and industry best practice;
- Maintain and Manage project files containing all relevant project documentation.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Honours degree or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Responsibility for electrical aspects of small projects, completing specifications and managing to time, cost and quality;
- Self motivated and with ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to design problems;
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills;
- Experience in the procurement, installation and commissioning of engineering systems;
- Some experience of supervising technical or design staff;
- An awareness of safety design methodology and, in particular, how it should be applied to electrical equipment and circuits;
- Good understanding of electrical engineering drawings;
- Day to day use of standard office based computer systems;
- Experience of working in a team.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Good working knowledge of electrical calculation packages;
- Experience of working within a QA system;
- Some knowledge of PLC based systems, sensors, field instrumentation, ultra high vacuum, communications and control systems;
- Some knowledge of motion control systems, actuators and encoders;
- Some knowledge of Personnel safety systems;
- Some knowledge of Electrical installations in buildings including power distribution, lighting, telecoms, HVAC, etc.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org