PDRA in Macromolecular Crystallography Methods Development
|Job Title||PDRA in Macromolecular Crystallography Methods Development|
|Post Type||full time, 4 year contract|
Diamond Light Source is developing, in close collaboration with CCP4, Cloud based infrastructure for the measurement and analysis of Macromolecular crystal diffraction data from MX beamlines. This will provide users with the ability to both remotely analyse their data and drive new experiments based on the current status of projects and quality of data.
We are seeking a highly motivated macromolecular crystallographer with significant experience in X-ray diffraction data processing and structure determination using multiple approaches (MR, SAD, MAD etc.). You will be working alongside a team of algorithm and software developers working on key aspect of diffraction data analysis (DIALS -http://sourceforge.net/projects/dials; Xia2 etc). You will be tasked with developing high-level decision making tools that can drive intelligent data analysis and data collection systems, ultimately enabling remote cloud-based operation. This will require an intimate knowledge of current best practice in data analysis, a good working knowledge of data analysis metrics and a keen interest in developing new metrics, new algorithms and software and testing these against real life cases. The post will require excellent communication skills to nurture and promote collaboration with groups within Diamond, CCP4 and elsewhere.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Experience the analysis of X-ray diffraction data;
- Experience in macromolecular structure determination by multiple methods (MAD, SAD, MR etc);
- Good interpersonal, communication, organizational and presentational skills;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours;
- Self motivation;
- Be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
- Experience in basic programming and/or scripting;
- Knowledge and/or experience of X-ray crystallography;
- Experience in all aspects of macromolecular crystallographic data analysis and structure determination, including model building and refinement;
- PhD or equivalent qualification or experience.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience with crystallographic software libraries and packages (Phenix, CCP4, CCTBX etc);
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Experience in use of collaborative tools (Wikis, software repositories, bug tracking).
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org