Senior Support Scientist/Support Scientist
|Job Title||Senior Support Scientist/Support Scientist|
|Post Type||Full Time|
|Date of interviews|
The UK’s national synchrotron scientific facility,Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in vitually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
I24 is a dedicated tuneable microfocus crystallography beamline that forms part of the suite of beamlines within the macromolecular crystallography village at Diamond. I24 provides a high flux (> 10^12 ph/s), versatile X-ray beam (5 - 50 µm) for the most demanding of structural biology problems. A state-of-the-art bespoke end-station, a 100Hz Pilatus 6M hybrid pixel array detector and a CATS robot for automated sample handling provide the possibility of both 100K and room temperature data collection. I24 also offers users the option of in-situ (crystallisation plate) data collection and crystal characterisation. The beamline is currently embarking on a series of hardware upgrades to significantly improve performance in several areas, ensuring it can continue to tackle the most challenging problems in structural biology.
We are seeking a highly motivated Support Scientist to work closely with the Principal Beamline Scientist and Beamline Scientist in the operation, maintenance and development of the I24 and assist in supporting users. A candidate appointed at the higher level will be expected to develop and maintain expertise in a relevant technical or research area.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist for I24 in the following areas:
• Optimisation and maintenance of beamline equipment and operations;
• Provide operational support and analysis of operational systems;
• Undertake problem solving and fault diagnosis of beamline instrumentation;
• Assist in the design, commissioning and operation of new equipment for the beamline;
• Production of reports and documentation (e.g. manuals, web-pages) to support the beamline;
• Perform local contact and out of hours support across the MX beamlines by providing users with advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques.
Additional duties for appointment at Senior level:
• Develop and maintain scientific expertise within the field;
• Conduct structured programme of research in an area relevant to I24 and promote findings both internally and externally;
• Contribute to the development of new systems and approaches for microcrystallography at I24;
• Take a significant role in the delivery of significant packages of project work, co-ordinating internal and external resource to help deliver projects on time and to budget.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate science degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Experience of macromolecular crystallography data collection;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of-hours working.
Essential for appointment at the higher level:
- Appropriate PhD and 3 years relevant experience;
- Experience in supporting Scientists in the conduct of research at a synchrotron or equivalent facility;
- Demonstrated track record of experience in crystallography or synchrotron radiation related area.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Commissioning and operation of macromolecular crystallography x-ray equipment (“home source” or synchrotron beamline);
- Experience with use of X-ray microbeams;
- Experience of Beamline instrumentation and/or optics.
Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com