Senior Software Scientist
|Job Title||Senior Software Scientist|
|Post Type||Full time, Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £42k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
Implement, support and enhance software for data analysis on all Diamond beamlines, specifically focusing on industrial applications. The role holder will work with the industrial liaison scientists, beamline scientists and industrial users of Diamond to examine their user operation, establishing requirements for data analysis and processing and then ensuring that they are implemented. In this they will develop software with the Data Analysis Group and collaborate closely with Data Acquisition and other groups within Diamond.
- Requirement gathering, management and implementation of scientific analysis software to improve processes across most Diamond beamlines and specifically for industrial usage. Examples for this are: fitting, image analysis and absorption correction routines;
- Lead where required in the application of detailed mathematical modelling to develop appropriate software solutions at Diamond that can be used both during and after data collection;
- Collaborate with industrial user groups in the planning and implementation of novel analysis software;
- Support the industrial liaison scientists in their delivery of projects to industrial clients;
- Formulate and improve standardised procedures and data formats, such as NeXus, together with communities within and outside Diamond and advise on their implementation;
- Manage software projects as required;
- Mentor the work of one or more software engineers/scientists;
- Use technical knowledge on computing and IT matter so ensure the requirements of industrial users and industrial liaison scientists are met e.g. data security, provision of licensed software and computing resources;
- Where possible, assimilate scientific knowledge of beamline use, liaise with data analysis colleagues and apply this to optimize the associated acquisition software;
- Foster the use of test driven software development for pipelining software, and expand its use into other areas of data analysis of industrially collected data;
- Generally deliver specialised work either as part of a project team or a specialist department to support broader departmental goals.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration;
- Use of mathematical models in the control of analysis and data processing;
- Use of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python;
- Significant practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Enjoys team work;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software engineering best practises;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of the implementation of graphical applications;
- Experience of software testing systems;
- Good understanding of a range of synchrotron experiments and their analysis requirements;
- Project management experience;
- Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org