Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist
|Job Title||Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist|
|Post Type||Full time, permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £33k and Circa £42k for appointment at the senior level|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron source and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we enable cutting edge research across a broad range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
Operational since December 2012, I09 is an undulator beamline that provides both soft and hard x-rays for investigating atomic and electronic structures of a wide variety of surfaces and interfaces using various techniques such as photoelectron spectroscopy (PES), near edge x-ray absorption fine structure (NEXAFS), x-ray standing waves (XSW) and photoelectron diffraction (PhD).
A permanent beamline scientist/senior beamline scientist position is currently available at I09. This post will focus mostly on the research utilizing soft and hard x-ray photoelectron spectroscopies to probe the electronic structures of materials. The scientist is expected to contribute to the technical development of the beamline, to provide user support, and to carry out research in areas relevant to the beamline. The candidate should have a Ph.D. degree in physics, physical chemistry, materials science or related fields. Synchrotron research experience in hard x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (HAXPES) or soft x-ray angle-resolved photoelectron spectroscopy (SX-ARPES) is highly desirable.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist in the operation and development of the beamline.
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- Assist in the technical development of the beamline and support laboratories, including specification, design, procurement, testing, installation, commissioning and maintenance;
- Local contact support to users by setting up, and by providing advice and guidance on, the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques;
- Carry out own research in areas relevant to the beamline and disseminate through publications and presentations.
Additional duties for appointment at the senior level:
- To lead the design, procurement, testing, installation and commissioning of particular significant items for the beamline or instrumentation which would enhance or improve its capability;
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations of own work in areas relevant to the beamline;
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with the other Diamond staff and users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ph.D. degree in physics, physical chemistry, materials science or related fields;
- Relevant research (e.g., electronic structures of materials) experience;
- Experience of X-ray measurement using synchrotrons;
- Knowledge of photoelectron spectroscopy;
- Demonstrated ability to develop a research program and successful scientific publication record;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Observational skills;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Self motivated;
- Open-minded and willing to learn;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Project management experience (Essential for appointment at the senior level);
- Knowledge of beamline instrumentation (Essential for appointment at the senior level);
- Experience of end-station design and instrumentation (Essential for appointment at the senior level);
- Ability to manage a small team and supervise PhD students and PDRAs;
- Experience/knowledge of UHV techniques;
- Experience of user support;
- Data analysis and programming skills.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com