|Job Title||Senior/Beamline Scientist|
|Post Type||Full time, Permanent|
|Salary information||C £33K- C £42K|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
I24 is a dedicated tuneable microfocus crystallography beamline that forms part of the suite of beamlines within the macromolecular crystallography village at Diamond. I24 provides a high flux (> 10^12 ph/s), versatile X-ray beam (5 - 50 µm) for the most demanding of structural biology problems. A state-of-the-art bespoke end-station, a 100Hz Pilatus 6M hybrid pixel array detector and a CATS robot for automated sample handling provide the possibility of both 100K and room temperature data collection. I24 also offers users the option of in-situ (crystallisation plate) data collection and crystal characterisation. The beamline is currently embarking on a series of hardware upgrades to significantly improve performance in several areas, ensuring it can continue to tackle the most challenging problems in structural biology.
The Beamline Scientist will work closely with the Principal Beamline Scientist in the continuing development of the beamline including design, procurement, construction, commissioning of upgrades as well as ongoing user support. The successful candidate will be expected to develop an internationally competitive research programme in methods development or structural biology that complements the research and development activities within the MX village.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist for I24 in the following areas:
- Continued commissioning and further optimisation of the beamline.
- Assist in operation of the beamline for users including a user support role and out of hours support across the MX beamlines via the local contact system.
- Provide operational support and analysis of operational systems including fault diagnosis and resolution.
- Carry out own research in an area relevant to the beamline and disseminate through publications and presentations.
- Assist in the development of a new equipment on the beamline, including testing and commissioning.
Additional duties for appointment at Senior level:
- Take the lead in the design, procurement, installation and commissioning of significant beamline components.
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations for own work in an area relevant to beamline.
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with the other Diamond staff and users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification or experience
- Experience of macromolecular crystallography data collection at a synchrotron
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of-hours working
Qualifications and Experience: Essential for appointment at the higher level
- 5 years postdoctoral or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated track record in crystallography or synchrotron radiation related research
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Commissioning and operation of macromolecular crystallography x-ray equipment (“home source” or synchrotron beamline)
- Experience with use of X-ray microbeams
- Beamline instrumentation and optics
- Project management.
- Python and/or Java programming
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
- For an informal discussion about this vacancy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and your enquiry will be directed accordingly.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com