Current Research Interests
The main focus of my current reseach is the nucleotide metabolism of Schistosoma mansoni using structural molecular biology, an effort that has led to the determination of 3 novel structures since 2011 (the relevant publications are in preparation).
At the beamline level, I am interested in methods for improving the throughput while keeping the same data quality level, optimising the usage of the hardware, and developing standards for quantitative assessment of diffraction from protein crystals.
- Humbero Pereira and Richard Garrat - IFSC/USP - Brazil - Nucleotide Metabolism of Schistosoma Mansoni.
- Ray Owens, Louise Bird, Joanne Nettleship and Yamini Reddivari - OPPF-UK - Structural characterization of enzymes from nucleotide metabolism from blood fluke Schistosoma mansoni.
- Isabel de Moraes - Membrane Protein Laboratory @ Diamond Light Source UK.
- Alice Douangamath, Petra Lukacik and Pierre Aller - Diamond Light Source.
- "Structure of ribose 5-phosphate isomerase from the probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus salivarius UCC118", Lobley C.M.C., Aller, P., Douangamath, A., Reddivari, Y., Bumann, M., Bird, L.E., Nettleship, J.E., Brandao-Neto, J., Raymond J. Owens, O’Toole, P.W., and Walsh, M.A., Acta Cryst. (2012). F68, 1427–1433
- Adenosine kinase from Schistosoma mansoni:structural basis for the differential incorporation of nucleoside analogues, Romanello, L., Bachega, J.F.R., Cassago, A., Brandao-Neto, J., DeMarco, R., Garratt, R.C. and Pereira, H.DM. (Manuscript Accepted)
- "Using high-throughput in-situ plate screening to evaluate the effect of dehydration on protein crystals." , A. Douangamath, P. Aller, P. Lukacik, I. De Moraes, J. Sanchez-Weatherby, J. Brandao-Neto (Manuscript accepted).
- "I04-1, a fixed wavelength, high-throughput and versatile MX beamline at Diamond Light Source.", J. Brandao-Neto, A. Douangamath, R. Fearn, J. Aishima, J. O’Hea, G. Preece, J. Williams, A. Marshall (manuscript in preparation).
- "I04-1, a fixed-wavelength protein crystallography station in its first year of operations", A. Douangamath, J. Brandao-Neto, R. Flaig, J. Aishima, R. Fearn, G. Winter and A. Ashton, Acta Cryst. (2011) A67, C278.
- "Characterization of wax as a potential diffraction intensity standard for macromolecular crystallography beamlines", Brandao-Neto J, Thompson SP, Lennie AR, Ferreira FF, Tang CC. J Synchrotron Radiat. 2010 Jan;17(Pt 1):53-60. Epub 2009 Nov 14.
- "Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic analysis of the heterodimeric crotoxin complex and the isolated subunits crotapotin and phospholipase A2 SO", K. F. Santos, M. T. Murakami, A. C. O. Cintra, M. H. Toyama, S. Marangoni, V. P. Forrer, J. R. Brandao Neto, I. Polikarpov and R. K. Arni, Acta Crystallographica Section F 2007;63(4):287-290
- Conference Presentation: "Machine Assignment Analysis Using an Ant Colony Algorithm", Brandao-Neto, J.R., Combinatorial Optimisation 2004, Lancaster, UK (2004).
- "Crystal Structure of a-Galactosidase from Trichoderma reesei and Its Complex with Galactose: Implications for Catalytic Mechanism", Golubev, A. M., Nagem, R. A. P., Brandão Neto, J. R., Neustroev, K. N., Eneyskaya, E. V., Kulminskaya, A. A., Shabalin, K. A., Savel'ev, A. N. and Polikarpov, I., J. Mol. Biol., 339(2), 413 (2004).
- "X-Ray Absorption in 2D Protein Crystals", Brandao-Neto, J.R., CCP4 Newsletter, 40, art.16 (March 2002).
- "Purification, crystallization and preliminary diffraction study of b-galactosidase from Penicillium sp.", Neustroev, K N; Sousa, E A de; Golubev, A M; Neto, J R Brandao; Eneyskaya, E V; Kulminskaya, A A; Polikarpov, I, Acta Crystallographica. Section D, Biological Crystallography, 56 (11) (2000)
- "Self-Tuning Control for Rotating Systems Subject to Torque Load Variations", Brandão-Neto, J.R., MPhil Dissertation, Campinas, Brazil (1999).